Speaking of Congress's inability to pass a law that would actually decrease economic inequality: just how rich are members of Congress, who formulate the laws in America's oligarchy? We're glad you asked.
- The median net worth of a member of Congress in 2013: $1.03 million
- Median net worth of a member of the House of Representatives: $844,000
- Median net worth of a Senator: $2.8 million
- Most common stock holding among members of Congress: GE (which operates in banking, energy, health care, defense contracting, among other relevant business lines)
- Total net worth of 533 members of Congress: $4.3 billion
- Total increase in net worth of members of Congress in the past year: $400 million
- Median net worth of all American households: $56,355
In addition to paying members of Congress what their constituents earn and limiting their post-Congress salaries to that of civil servants, it might be a good idea to stop voting for all these rich motherfuckers.